Undefeated: Bears win District 10 championship

February 25, 2015   ·   0 Comments

The Orangeville District Secondary School Bears boy’s hockey team claimed the District 10 title in a game that went into four overtime periods to determine the outcome.

This has been an outstanding season for the Bears.

After finishing in the top spot in the regular season with an unblemished undefeated record, the squad won their quarter-final game 5-2 over Bishop Macdonell, then earned their way to the championship with a 4-2 win over John F. Ross on February 18.

The return to Tony Rose arena on Friday, February 20, for the District 10 championship pitted the Bears against the Centre Wellington District High School Falcons out of Fergus.

CWDHS came to the final as a top team that ended the regular season in second place with a 10-1-1 record.

With a standing room only crowd at Tony Rose arena including a huge contingent of Bears fans and a good sized group that came from Fergus to cheer the Falcons, the squad faced off with a 2:00 p.m. start.

Centre Wellington got the jump in the early going lighting up the board with the first goal.

The Bears responded going head 3-1 in the second frame.

Centre Wellington made good on a powplay in the second period, then tied the game at three with 4:25 left on the clock.

The Bears were back in the lead with a pass across the net that was re-directed to the top of the Falcons’ net.

It was a short lived lead when the Falcons scored 20 seconds later to set up the final period as a battle to see who could score the winner.

Neither team could find the back of the net in the final frame and the teams returned for a five minute four-on-four overtime period that did not produce a winner.

The teams returned for another five minute overtime period with just three players from each team on the ice.

It took three periods of grueling three on three hockey before Bears’ forward Kyle Waters found himself in front of the Falcons net and took the shot that ended the game.

Bears’ first and second period goals came from Shane Hillis, Trevor Nevidomskis, and two from Travis Brown.

“I think we played great,” Said Bears head coach Justin Davis. “I was a little upset with some of our defensive zone coverage, but then again, you’ve got to give them (Falcons) credit. They’re a talented team and they played really well. Over all, you can’t complain when you win.”

The three-on-three overtime periods means every player has a lot of ice to cover.

“I used a lot of the same guys early, thinking that we’d lose or win early in in OT. I wasn’t thinking it was going to go four OT. By the end the guys were just gassed,” Davis said.

Bears forward Travis Brown said the squad knew they were going up against a tough team when then came to the arena on Friday.

“The boys came out ready to play,” Brown said. “We went down one in the first period, then we came back with two more and the guys started getting energy and we started playing better. We knew we had a tough game here, and they came ready to play but we came out on top.”

The team has just over a week to get ready for the Central Western Ontario Secondary Schools Association (CWOSSA) championships.

“We have three practices next week and get ready for CWOSSA,” Brown said.

The CWOSSA championships will take place in Guelph on March 2 and 3.

The winning team will go on to compete in the provincial OFSAA hockey championship.

Readers Comments (0)

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.