Holiday fire safety tips for a safe and happy season

December 22, 2022   ·   0 Comments

By Brian Lockhart

The holidays are the most festive time of year, but along with the parties and gatherings, there is also an increase in the risk of home fires because of some holiday traditions.

The open flame provided by a candle is one of the biggest risks of fire each year.

If you decide to light candles to create a festive mood, be sure to keep the open flame away from anything that can burn including curtains, decorations or paper. Keep lighters and matches away from children and make sure to douse any used matches in water before disposing of them.

Also, make sure you remember to put the candles out before going to bed. It’s easy to forget you still have one burning, so make sure you do a thorough check to ensure they are all extinguished before resting.

When you are getting ready to put up your Christmas lights on the tree or around windows, check the cords closely. You should look for any cords that are frayed or damaged. If you find a faulty cord, do not use it. Be safe and discard any damaged cords.

As many people use extension cords for that extra set of lights, you should also use the same due diligence and check extension cords for wear or damage.

The holidays are a good time to check your smoke alarms and make sure they are all working properly. You should replace smoke alarms if they are over ten years old.

You need a smoke alarm on every story of the house and outside of all sleeping areas.

Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms. They are required by law.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless gas that can kill quickly. Replace any carbon monoxide alarms that are over seven years old.

If you are using a real Christmas tree this year, make sure to keep the base of the tree watered at all times to avoid having it dry out and become a fire hazard.

Also make sure to keep the tree in a place that is away from any ignition source such as the fireplace, heaters, or candles.

Having a fire safety plan is important for fire safety. They make sure everyone knows how to get out of the house if a fire occurs and that includes helping children, older adults, or anyone else who made needs help to evacuate the premises.

With many large meals planned this time of year, it is important to remember kitchen fire safety. Cooking fires most commonly occur when cooking is left unattended. Always remain in the kitchen when cooking – especially when using oil or high temperatures.

If you are using space heaters to take off the chill, remember to keep them at least one metre away from anything combustible, such as curtains, upholstery, and holiday decorations.

Many new toys and devices come with lithium-ion batteries. These can add a potential risk to your home. Always monitor these toys or devices when they are charging and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Do not let them overcharge.

By following a few common sense safety tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of fire and make sure your Christmas is a safe and happy one.

Readers Comments (0)

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.